Monday, May 24, 2010

Looking into the art process

My love and passion for art is instinctual to me.   If I was on a desert island, it would be my water.  If I was suffocating, it would be air. I am able to get in touch with my depths of being and very existence.  Art is a platform for expression, interpretation, freedom and fun.. It is forgiving and liberating. It captivates one and pulls one into another surreal world, without limitations and boundaries.  One can have fun and play and get back in touch with ones inner child.  


As children  we are born untouched.. We don't have any programming.  Our minds are innocent and receptive.  It is only that once we start entering adulthood,  do we start acquiring a  set of "judges".  These judges are the very source of all our obstacles we put before us, in art and so too in life.  They beat us down at the back of our minds, shouting comments like "you cannot draw or paint", " you are not artistic!", "whats is that supposed to be?" etc...


As an adult, walking into an art studio  for the first time can  be  terrifying as we carry these judges in our heads and they come down hard on us at the best of times.  The very thought of putting paint to paper can be scary, as well as being confronted by a blank canvas.  Where do I start?  Is this the correct colour.? What will my class think of me and what will the teacher think?  Will they point a finger at me and laugh and ask what an earth am I doing here?


The Creative Beings Art Studio philosophy is  one which allows total freedom, devoid of these judges which block us and do not serve us any purpose.  In this safe environment,  we learn to work with these judges that block us and in this way we allow ourselves to be more receptive and trusting in our artmaking. This gentle, nurturing approach is what is encouraged, regardless If you have been doing art for years, or are a complete beginner.


                                         




"Looking beyond " by sharon lopis May 2010

                                               "Freedom of a red dance" sharon lopis 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment